Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Sketchbook : Japanese Folk Tales - Kasajizou  日本昔話の笠地蔵

 

I’ve always loved old folklore, especially the stories from Japan. I’m going to try my best to do a series of illustrations based on some of my favorite stories. I’m really excited about the cool illustrations that could come out of this, there are some wonderful stories to choose from.

My first choice starts off like most of them, with an old, poor, but kind hearted couple. On New Year’s Eve, the old man makes hats to sell at the market so he can buy food, but when he can sell none, returns home feeling defeated. On the way he runs into these six little Ojizousama statues, each with snow piled up on their heads. Feeling sorry for them, he brushes the snow off, and gives his straw hats to each of them. He only has five hats though, so to the sixth statue he gives the covering from his own head. In the end the statues return to his home while he sleeps, and leave a mountain of food at his doorstep.

No comments:

Post a Comment